Home > All news > Taumarunui celebrates over 1000 patients treated closer to home with Mobile Health

Taumarunui celebrates over 1000 patients treated closer to home with Mobile Health

Mobile Health’s Surgical Bus and Taumarunui Hospital celebrated over 1000 patients being treated closer to residents’ homes today (18 August 2017).

Waikato DHB rural hospitals’ manager Joanne Knight says: “Our community and hospital staff are really benefiting from the

L-R: DHB registered nurse Kim Thompson with Murray Jonasen and Mobile Health’s Margaret Scott

convenience and expertise of Mobile Health’s procedures that would normally be delivered over two hours away at Waikato Hospital.

“Some of the procedures can be uncomfortable for patients so having these performed on the hospital’s campus gives them and their whānau much better piece of mind pre and post-surgery.

“If patients need post recovery, they are simply brought straight through to a hospital recovery room.

“It’s been a really great partnership with Mobile Health” Joanne states. “Both our administration teams work to arrange patient lists, and our nursing team gets the opportunity to provide support on the bus and exposure to different surgeries they wouldn’t typically do in a rural setting.”

The Mobile Health team getting ready for their next patient

The surgical bus has been operating in Taumarunui since April 2004. 71% of surgeries performed there have been endoscopies; the other 29% is made up of general surgery, ophthalmology, gynaecology, and dental.

It has visited the site 109 times and has treated 1005 patients.

Mobile Health also provides education and ongoing professional development to all rural health professionals.

They have a range of topics to choose from, including a Graduate Certificate in Nursing Practise: Rural Nursing Speciality.

Visit Mobile Health’s website for more information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
You may also like
2018 Queen’s Birthday honours with Waikato DHB connections
New premises for Waikato District Health Board services
Stefan van Rooij, maintenance and facilities engineer
Energy savings programme reaps rewards
Mumps in the Waikato rises