In an organisation as large as the Waikato District Health Board it is recognised nurses play a vital role in delivering quality care to each patient.
Today we celebrated International Nurses Day with competitions around best decorated ward foyer, best decorated and tasting cake, best wearable recyclable fashion parade and Nurse of the Year 2015.
Waikato District Health Board nursing and midwifery director Sue Hayward said wonderful fun was had by all and congratulations to Nina De Visser being named Nurse of the Year 2015.
Nina was nominated by her colleagues who said that she has “by example, brought the level of nursing care up on the ward”.
The recommendation went on to say “she works so hard, everyday. Having Nina working with you on a shift means you know you will be supported, and that is of incalculable worth. What it has meant to me, is that I have a colleague who I’m proud of, feel totally supported by, and although she is technically my junior, someone whose nursing care I try to emulate. I know she will go far in her career.”
Hayward presented the award and said she was a truly deserving winner.
“Every day nurses make a true difference to so many aspects of health care delivery , patient experience and patient outcomes,” said Hayward.
“International Nurses Day provides a vehicle that allows celebration of this plus invites peer recognition. In the business of our lives this sometimes is missed and what is clear is the appreciation nurses have for each other when they work as a team, sharing skills, knowledge and the highs and lows of the shift.”
Below are all the winners of the day.
- 1st – NICU (Neonatal Intensive care Unit). Model – Rachana Ramachandran; Presenter – Bindhu.K.V.
- 2nd – Taumaranui Hospital – Inpatient ward/E.Dept; Model: Katherine Elaine Arnejo; Presenter Katherine Elaine Arnejo
- 3rd place – Ward M7 – Model: Bronte Gibson; Presenter – John Voschezong
Best decorated cake
- 1st – Flor Serna from Operating Theatres – the 2 tier cake with hands on top
- 2nd – Niki Hassman, CCU – the Heart
Best tasting cake or slice
- 1st Flor Serna – Operating Theatres – Pink icing pineapple cake
- 2nd Lyn McCleod – carrot cake
- Caron Sulley (1st) – mini quiches
- Lyn MacLeod (2nd) marmite scrolls.