The 2013 Countdown Kids Hospital Appeal that raises money for hospitals with dedicated children’s areas kicked off in the Waikato today (Wednesday 5 August).
Waikato District Health Board (DHB) launched the annual campaign by presenting a ‘wish list’ to Countdown staff outlining much-needed hospital equipment for its child and youth health service (Waikids).
From now until 27 October Countdown staff will engage in locally-led fundraising activities to grant items on the wish list to Waikids.
Now in its seventh year, the appeal has raised more than $5.7 million for 10 children’s wards throughout New Zealand with more than $750,000 of that going to Waikato Hospital.
“We really appreciate the dedication and ongoing commitment of the Countdown team, as well as the fantastic generosity of the Waikato community. The difference the appeal has made to the lives of our children is immeasurable,” Waikato DHB Waikids unit manager Lorraine Reid said.
The bulk of the $144,774 donated to Waikids last year went towards sophisticated monitoring equipment, breast pumps for new mothers, and parent beds for those staying with children during surgery.
Waikato DHB staff helped to raise that money through holding Denim Days (where staff pay a gold coin to wear jeans to work), selling raffle tickets, taking part in the Countdown Golf Day, active promotion and other in-house fundraising activities.
Countdown Kids Hospital Appeal Chairperson, Ruth Krippner encouraged the community to get behind the appeal too.
“You don’t have to be a doctor to make a difference to the lives of children who are unwell. Simply show your support through this year’s appeal which has lots of fun fundraising activities happening in Waikato and throughout the country,” she said.
“Countdown Kids Hospital Appeal is all about getting together as a community and doing what we can to support children who need us. At times we can feel a bit helpless because we can’t help in the same way doctors can, so it’s great that the appeal helps to fundraise for much-needed equipment for kids.”
Everyone can participate by making a donation or engaging in local activities and raffles.
- To donate, visit your local Countdown supermarket and donate at the till.
- Visit www.countdown.co.nz to make a donation online
- Text KIDS to 3066 to make a $3 donation (A $3 charge applies per text message. No additional charges apply.)
Countdown Press Office: email@example.com or phone Kate Gilbert (021 0436 108) or Jess Miller (027 500 1378)
Supporting images and case study information are available on request.
- The Countdown Kids Hospital Appeal runs from 5 August to 27 October 2013
- It was previously known as the Fresh Future Children’s Hospital Appeal, and has raised more than $5.7 million since 2007
- All funds raised go towards 10 dedicated children’s wards at hospitals around New Zealand
- More than $1.2 million was raised in 2012, and was donated to the following hospitals: Whangarei, Kidz First (Auckland), Waikato, Tauranga and Whakatane, Hawkes Bay, Wellington, Greymouth, Christchurch, Dunedin, and Invercargill.
General media enquiries
Mobile: 021 671 239