Home > All news > Clinical centre named for visionary leader

Clinical centre named for visionary leader

The name for the $118 million Clinical Centre now under construction at Waikato Hospital will honour a man who played a central role in Waikato Hospital’s transformation from a general cottage hospital into a modern specialist institution.

The building will be called The Meade Clinical Centre after Dr John Anthony Meade who began his service to Waikato Hospital as assistant superintendent in 1953 and retired 27 years later as Waikato Hospital Board superintendent-in-chief having transformed the Hamilton site into a major tertiary referral centre.

Dr Meade died in December 1999 aged 84.

The Waikato DHB board made the decision yesterday. The Meade Clinical Centre is the most significant part of Waikato Hospital’s building programme and the biggest hospital project ever seen in Waikato and Bay of Plenty.

The five-level 32,000m2 building will be parallel to the south side of the hospital’s red corridor and link directly onto the carpark at three levels.

Most outpatient clinics will be inside along with the interventional suite, same day admissions unit and additional theatres.

The hospital’s critical care unit including intensive care and high dependency unit will move into level four.

The scope of work also includes demolition of the Smith Building and refurbishment of two levels in the Waiora Waikato Centre.

The building will open in three stages from March 2012 with full completion by the end of 2013.

ENDS

General media enquiries
Mobile: 021 671 239
Email: news@waikatodhb.health.nz

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
You may also like
Art of Remembrance - installation for Waikato Hospital
Waikato Senior Medical Staff make a generous gift and big visual statement for our patients, public and staff to enjoy
Hilda’s final goodbye
Shops and community pharmacy approved for Waikato Hospital
Hawkins wins property award for Meade Clinical Centre